Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The Last Arrested Development(?)

I had to watch this thing twice to wrap my head around the cheeky insider-ness that they decided to go out with.

In the episode there was any number of references to the impending cancelation, the most overt being Ron Howard's naration repeatedly telling the audience to "Tell their friends." The incredibly abrupt (and for a reason I'm not quite sure of other than as a stunt, Live) conclusion left no time for fans of the show to get misty eyed. Which is perhaps why AD failed so brilliantly. Your average Bluth fan didn't want to have a misty eyed conclusion where the family learned to get along and George Sr. got out of jail, we wanted tense, akward, confusion. Now if only we could figure out how to sell awkward confusion as entertainment to the rest of America we'd be ok.

Note to Showtime my household has never been a subscriber to your channel but would gladdly pay for the privledge of watching new episodes of Arrested Development.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will follow AD anywhere. If it goes to Showtime, I'll sign onto Showtime.

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home