Friday, January 25, 2008

Stimulus.

It appears in a few months all us tax payers will be getting $600 to help stimulate the economy. Enjoy it, everyone likes free money. I'm putting mine in the bank. A swiss bank maybe.

Anyway, of all people Mike Huckabee(who in many ways is as bad as all the rest of the republicans) had a great point about how silly this policy is. He also has a great bit about the infrastructure of the country, something we should be considering more(remember the bridge collapse last summer?!).

(From CNN) "One of the concerns that I have is that we'll probably end up borrowing this $150 billion from the Chinese," he said. "And when we get those rebate checks, most people are going to go out and buy stuff that's been imported from China. I have to wonder whose economy is going to be stimulated the most by the package. "

The former Arkansas governor then proposed a major public works project as an alternative to the stimulus package.

"If we are going to spend a $150 billion, I'd like to suggest we add two lanes of highway from Bangor all the way to Miami on I-95," he said. "A third of the U.S. population lives within a hundred miles of that. This nation's infrastructure is falling apart, and if we built those lanes of highway, with American labor, American steal, American concrete, I believe it would do more to stimulate the economy. "

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Fuck that, I want my money. I was listening to people at work today, who are not inside the rebate bracket, complaining that they weren't getting the money. I think it's a much needed break for people within our income bracket and something that we all could put to good use with the upcoming recession fully upon us.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Tim Duffy said...

$600 is not going to help the economy that much. it's a band-aid for a dislocated shoulder. people will enjoy it because they get their $600 but it's a silly nonsolution to a problem that the government created. it's wasteful government spending and it is irresponsible.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who is totally psyched to spend my $600 on unpaid parking tickets, I'd like to suggest that Mike Huckabee is bullshit. And so is the rebate. Huckabee's on the right track, sure, but I'm sorry--adding two lanes to I-95? As someone who spends 20% of his current life trying to drag my ass between here and Connecticut, I can assure you that 95 is FUBAR, so are our current emissions levels, and so is the price of gas. Adding two lanes would be a waste of concrete, money, and would pander to the wrong business interests in our country. So, if Huckabee wants to get smart (granted, he withdrew weeks ago and this blog is like, months old), what he OUGHT to suggest is increasing the commuter rail schedule/services between the American cities on the eastern seabord. That would tackle several of our problems and invest in a cleaner, more efficient future for American tax payers.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home